Brastorne Bridges The Connectivity Gap in Guinea

The expansion of internet connectivity in Sub-Saharan Africa is challenging. Approximately 80% of people do not have access to basic internet service. Poorer health outcomes, a lower life expectancy, more social isolation, and restricted access to employment and education opportunities are just a few of the ways a person’s life may be significantly harmed by a lack of digital literacy and information access. Unfortunately, this is reality for the people of Guinea, where there is only a 23 percent internet penetration rate as of the beginning of 2022.

Guinea has a population of around 13 million people. This year alone, the disparity between underprivileged and more prosperous populations has risen. This wealth gap has much to do with geography, with rural areas hosting 63% of Guinea’s population, with urban areas housing the remaining 37%. In Guinea, these rural marginalized groups have few options for earning a livelihood and as a result are home to local farmers who have attempted to improve their standards of living through subsistence farming.

Opportunity Knocks On Guinea’s Door

african community


The world is a global village, with much of its economic and social activity now happening online. Improved connectivity can be a lifeline, providing information, entertainment, and education in regions that have limited or no access to TV, radio, or newspapers. Guinea is home to an active mobile phone user community, with 14 million cellular mobile connections being made this year alone. The people of Guinea have demonstrated their resilience, using any technology available to them to get online. The challenge is how do you ensure that everyone has access to technology and information?

To overcome the barriers to digital inclusion, innovative and cost effective solutions are required. Brastorne has developed solutions for people, like the citizens of Guinea, who don’t have access to broadband or electricity but desperately need connectivity. “We’re interested in understanding how we can make things work better for everyone and help grow communities through digital inclusion programs” says Martin Stimela, CEO of Brastorne. Brastorne aims to be part of the solution for Guinea by understanding connectivity issues in different areas, looking at how to empower people using technology, and address gender equality issues.

Understanding that a large portion of the population works in agriculture, Brastorne has brought mAgri to Guinea to enable farmers to have unrestricted access to important information that will have a big impact on their lives. mAgri is a USSD mobile application that enables all farmers to promote their goods and services across the nation, changing how the agricultural community communicates.

This revolutionary service offers several advantages over current solutions. Farmers will be able to gain access to farming expertise, markets, and short-term capital using this USSD platform, which allows them to sell their products and services across the country using ANY mobile phone. Framers will not need to change anything about their way of life except to go forward in a new direction that will result in more productivity in their communities.

Guinea’s farming community has the currently untapped potential for increased crop production and general economic development. Brastorne is looking to bring to Guinea the same benefits it has introduced to African countries such as the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Cameroon.

To learn more about how Brastone is impacting lives across Sub-Saharan Africa, read our latest Impact Report.